Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I Think So.... A Skimming Rant

I think you can hate Republican viewpoints and still be patriotic. My friend D. equates watching the RNC with watching televised church programing. I admire her for trying. I watched for about 15 minutes and began to feel the dichotomy that America has become. Theirs....and mine. 

My America is comprised of : struggling, vanishing, middle class families--uninsured teachers and students, teenagers that don't know how to form a paragraph yet know who Britney Spears fucked last, long hours, and concerns about future costs on the budget we're on. Concerns about national debt, wars, and almost-wars.

I honestly don't understand their America. I am glad they're participating in Democracy, I suppose. Although, I wish they had something better to do. Okay, not really. I just find it shocking how critical the Right has become of OTHER. There seems to be virtually NO accountability for anything. No weapons of mass destruction; oops, let's finish the job, right? I won't even start on recent elections or I don't know, the Attorney General. Worse even, is their new outrage at being questioned. Imagine that. 

It seems like America has been sleepwalking for the last 8 years. 9/11 could have been a catalyst for new alliances, diplomacy and humility. Instead it became a long and detached shopping spree. And, now, 98% of Americans can't afford the sale.  

Personally, I'm afraid to put my faith in a party, or a person. In spite of myself I hear Obama speak and I feel hope stir. Watching the DNC, I repeatedly found myself thinking, "Oh my god, those people could be my friends." That and, "Please let him be wearing a bullet proof vest." I suppose the feeling of isolation, of political minority status- began to melt in the light of the messages given there. 

Now, this week, I am left to consider what country separates me from my countrymen and women who are bent on the politics of exclusion. Well. That's fine. Count me out, but don't imply I'm not patriotic. God Bless America, and theirs too. Dammit.

No comments: