Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Almost done....



Poor, neglected blog. Cyber-whiner. I've been busy growing a mini-book of poetry. Chapbook to be precise. And, for the record, writing/saying chapbook makes me also want to use words like "gent" and phrases like, "Cheery-o mate." These poems and I have wrestled for a good, long time. We've come together in a loose embrace.

They are a series of poems written to maritime flags. I know, I live in the desert. Opposites and imagination my invisible, non-existent audience. Each poem is titled after a semaphore symbol.
For example; "Diver Down" and "Keep Clear".  I've even decided to include the flag images next to the titles which should stir up a whole lot of ridiculous discussion if they are ever considered for publication. "Perhaps she's relying too heavily on the image...perhaps it's a gimmick." Perhaps it's semaphore on all counts, sillies. The poems are not about the sea. They're about being out to sea in relationships....ummm hmmmm.

I feel brave about submitting, as I have 5 poems forthcoming in Locuspoint late this summer, or early next fall. Hooray!

Below is a preview:  
Keep Clear of Me


Name calling after a good one,
Like trumpets! I agree Penelope was clever,
Yes, I envy her patience. Still, 

I CAN'T SEW.

Angel, hasn't this been pretty good?
Can't you forgive me for blah, blah, blah?
I know--let's climb into cornflower sheets. The argument
Docking like limbs in our ever-bed.
Cellos will state their intentions
Then steam tinted windows
Where you doodle me
Plus you. Me, but with horns.

Perhaps my moods are volatile. 
See how the sunlight plays
Checkers on the floor? King me.











1 comment:

Charles said...

I totally remember an earlier version of "Diver Down" from Norman's workshop--glad you're resurrecting it! :)